Civilization 5 Strategy Guide
Civilization 5 Strategy Guide
On this page you will find many strategies to win in Civilization 5 (V). All no-fluff, tried and tested to make sure they work.
Sid Meier's Civilization V (also known as Civilization 5) is a turn-based strategy computer game developed by Firaxis and released on Microsoft Windows in September 2010. It is the latest game in the Civilization series.
In Civilization V, you lead a civilization from prehistoric times into the future, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest.
How To Steamroll The Enemy
Win Every Time (tested)
What I'm going to share with you is a way to steamroll the enemy. This method has been tested and works well against the AI...
The method is so easy you'll be amazed.
1. Get horseback riding
2. Get a worker
3. Get a settler
4. Found your second city next to horses
5. Get the worker to build a pasture, you're looking to get these horses ASAP
6. Switch to building horsemen SRAIGHT AWAY (even if something else is building) once your pasture(s) have been built
7. Keep building horsemen, buy horsemen, get as many as possible
8. Once you have 3 (this will be VERY early on), you can start STEAMROLLING the enemy...
9. Start attacking all opponents with your horsemen
You might be surprised at this point at what this actually is.. Yes, it's a very easy strategy, but it even works on high difficulty level and it works every time. Be sure to give them HEAL promotions so they can keep going. Expect to win by 100 turns.
+ Found capital.
+ Open tech tree. Click "Horseback Riding."
+ Build scout or a warrior
Pre-Order Civilization V: Gods And Kings Review - The long awaited expansion to Civilization 5!
This is the long awaited expansion pack to Civilization 5. I won't ruin the surprise but prepare to have your mind blown. This is going to be epic!
Civilization 5: Korea and Ancient World Official Civilization 5 Addon - Official addon to civ 5 to add korea and the ancient world!
Civilization 5 Combat Tactics
A good way to win fights is to have high level units with the correct upgrades. The top upgrade to get is Medic since it heals the unit and all adjacent units. Since in most fights your units won't be destroyed straight away this is a very valuable upgrade. If you have all your units all next to each other they'll all heal really quickly and be very hard to kill. Cities and armies will be much easier to kill with all your units huddled up...
Unlike Civilization IV you don't have unit stacks anymore, so you'll be fighting with an army of units all next to each other. This is a good thing, much more realistic if you ask me. Positioning becomes much more important. What you want to do is have the melee infantry up front and ranged infantry in the back. But here's the thing, at a certain point you will be able to upgrade your archers and crossbowmen to gunpowder units. Don't do it straight away. Keep some of them to keep them in the back because gunpowder infantry can't fire from a distance (weird, huh?). You can however upgrade some of them to allow them to join the front lines as powerful gunpowder infantry (much stronger than melee).
Plan your wars depending on your civilization. If you're Roman you'll want to have early wars to use your legion (iron needed!) and ballista. If you're Japan you'll want to start a war when you discover steel. If you're American, minute men are awesome, wait for them if you're playing a long game.
Be sure to protect your veterans, keep them around for as long as possible. A single veteral can be a powerful killing force on the battlefield...
A Really Good Strategy I've Come To Find...
What works early on in the game is:
- To research mining and writing (pottery -> writing)
- Then build the Great Library wonder for the free tech to choose
- Mining is used to clear forests and build mines so that production increases to complete the wonders faster
This gives you a quick early on advantage with technology that could help secure an early lead.
This is a useful strategy with all nationalities.
Obviously each different leader has different perks to their growth and expansion. For example the Greeks have powerful early game units with the Hoplite (replaces spearman) and the Companion Cavalry (replaces horseman). Maybe the early game is the best time for a quick war then using the greeks? Basically, being smart with the units and resources at your disposal and keeping an eye on the year and how advanced the enemy nations are is key.
Another good idea is to research Iron Working (mining->bronze working->iron working) as reasonably fast as possible so that you uncover where the iron deposits are. Iron is a strategic resource that will form the backbone of any sieges you need to do for the first 5000 years of the game (on any speed).
Poll: Civilization 5 Gods And Kings - Share your opinion
Is Gods And Kings Awesome?
Buy Civilization 5 From The Most Trusted Source Online - Nice discounts and even I trust Amazon..
Tips On How To Get Cultural Victory In Civilization V
Get a cultural victory in Civilization 5, let the other factions Fight while you run with the victory
"To win a cultural victory, you must acquire five complete "branches" of social policies - that
is, you must own all policies within six different branches. Once you've done that, the "Utopia
Project" is unlocked. Construct that project and you win a cultural victory. You cannot rush or
purchase this project; it must be constructed."
1. Pick India as your Civilization, it's perfect for few and large cities
2. Get only a few cities. 2 LARGE cities is best if you go for an 8 player game
3. One worker and 1 warrior is enough
4. Race the AI for wonders. You want many wonders, so make sure to build them before the AI does (otherwise you can't build them anymore)
5. Don't open your borders with the AI. They'll see you're weak and attack. Just keep declining
6. You need at least 1 wonder per city. Later you will get a project that doubles the culture of every city which has a wonder
7. Get free religion as early as possible so you get 2 free policies early on. Use it to unlock Constitution (100% culture increase for every city with a wonder). Also unlock Free Speech (Future Policies cost 25% less). This is an important factor to get cultural victory.
8. Get social policies in this order: Tradition -> Piety -> Freedom -> Order -> Commerce. You don't need to get every cultural talent in a social policy straight away, get the policies first
9. Don't bother with tech after the Renaissance era, you don't need the broadcast tower etc
10. Start by getting mining, then go to Stonehenge early in the game
11. Cut down forests to speed up production early in the game.
12. Place specialists in libraries and temples (bottom right in the city menu when you click a city). This will boost your culture and allow you to quickly get artists. Use artists to create landmarks on your tiles. The extra culture they generate helps a lot.
The Official Civilization 5 Guide - This One's Tested By Me And It's Really Good!
Trick That Quickly Makes You Overpowered in Civlization V
Ruins that upgrade your units
There are Ruins scattered all over the map. One thing a ruin can do is upgrade your unit.
Scouts, when upgraded, turn into archers. Since scouts aren't upgradeable usually, and since they have really bad attack power, this is quite useful.
Once upgraded, they keep ignoring terrain.
You can get a rifleman very early in a game if you find enough correct ruins! If you want to cheat, just keep saving and reloading once you find a ruin and it'll do what you want it to do eventually!
You can also use this trick to upgrade a minuteman to a highly mobile riflemen and so on...
Strategy That Will Make You Very Powerful
The Ignore Happiness Strategy
There are 2 phases to this strategy. In phase 1 you play the game normally. In phase 2 you start ignoring happiness and what happens is quite amazing.
This strategy works best with France, as you're going to have a HUGE empire.
First phase, play the game as normal. You'll want to slingshot a bit to get the commerce / freedom trees. Every tree before then is going to be bad for you (except maybe liberty for culture and happiness, as well as fast expansion).
Don't build any happiness buildings, as their maintenance is too much. Focus on nabbing a lot of luxury resources, as once phase 2 hits, you won't grow anymore. Trade for as much luxury resources as possible, and max out your happiness. Get currency at some point, and start all your towns up on markets.
Phase Two. Your goal is to start up a massive war machine, and never stop. You know those times when you want to keep up the fight but you don't because your happiness is capped? Ignore that entirely! Attack enemy cities. ANNEX every single one. Don't build courthouses.
Ignore happiness, and keep capturing cities. Switch all your mines to trade posts. Ignore growth and production. Get every single city maxed out on merchants, and pray for some great merchants. Sell off all happiness resources for more gold. Grab the key commerce policy of -25% spending cost. Build the key wonders for buying units/buildings. Gun for the Renaissance era, as Freedom is the key policy tree.
Put your civilians to work in Trade posts and as Specialists (bottom right in city menu).
As this is really a specialist economy, you'll see quite a few great people, as well as lower food costs from Freedom.
What you lose
- NO city growth
- NO golden ages from happiness
- Half production
- Penalty to combat
What you gain
- A LOT of gold off selling luxuries
- More gold from production
- Cities switching from growth to more useful tiles, like merchants and trade posts
- No maintenance from happiness buildings and previously needed workshops
- No maintenance happens from marketplaces or any other key buildings
- Benefits of currency modifiers over production modifiers
- More specialized policies
- No caring to stop the war machine, and thus a much larger empire
- Gobs and gobs of great generals and other specialists to use for golden ages (+1 commerce per tile in a massive empire!)
- The highest science you'll ever see
You'll be tempted to try this with Arabia for its gold on trade routes, but you need the culture from France. No other civilization can have an empire this size and still pump out social policies.
Get An Awesome Online Strategy Guide For Civilization 5
You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this article up or down.